Door Knob locks / Lever Set Locks
It’s important for your security and safety to make sure you buy quality door knob locks and/or lever set locks and get them installed by a professional. You can depend on All Over Locksmith to provide you with only the highest quality products and superior service. Not only do we provide you some of the highest quality door knob locks/lever set locks, but we also provide you great brands at affordable prices. We’re able to provide you with locks for your home or your office. The process of working with us is easy and efficient.
Quality locking system
You choose the type of superior quality lock you would like, and we install it quickly and the right way. If you prefer to use a specific brand of lock, we likely have the brand that you want. Some of the brand names All Over Locksmith provides are:
Each lock as a slightly different installation application and we’re highly knowledgeable about what’s needed to install each brand of door knob locks/lever set locks for maximum security. Choose us and you can be assured of having the best brands of locks installed correctly the first time. Each brand of lock has a unique combination of keyways and cylinders that make it near impossible for an intruder to tamper or pick. But to be effective, you need to make sure you use a company that has the right tools and know-how to install the locks correctly.
Unique lock sets
Standard locksmith tools are ineffective against these types of locks. And it’s impossible to duplicate the keys outside the manufacturer’s factories. Don’t settle when it comes to protecting your valuables and yourself from intruders, trespassers and other criminals. The quality door knob locks/lever set locks that we at All Over Locksmith use have been used for facilities that require a higher level of security like government buildings, financial institutions and military establishments.
When it comes to home security, one of the most important components is the door lock. The door knob locks and lever set locks are two popular choices that homeowners opt for. These locks provide an essential layer of protection, preventing unauthorized access and ensuring the safety of your loved ones and valuables. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the features, benefits, and considerations of door knob locks and lever set locks. By the end, you will have a clear understanding of these locks and be empowered to make an informed decision for your home security needs.
1. Understanding Door Knob Locks
1.1 How do Door Knob Locks Work?
Door knob locks are a traditional type of lock commonly found in residential properties. They consist of a locking mechanism housed within a doorknob, which can be turned to lock or unlock the door. The inner mechanism typically contains a spring-loaded latch that retracts when the knob is turned, allowing the door to open. When the knob is locked, the latch extends, keeping the door securely closed.
1.2 Advantages of Door Knob Locks
Door knob locks offer several advantages for homeowners seeking a reliable security solution. These include:
- Affordability: Door knob locks are often more budget-friendly compared to other types of locks, making them an accessible option for many homeowners.
- Ease of Use: The familiar knob design makes door knob locks intuitive to operate, even for children or elderly individuals.
- Versatility: Door knob locks are compatible with a wide range of interior and exterior doors, making them suitable for various applications.
- Privacy Functionality: Many door knob locks feature a privacy function, allowing you to lock the door from the inside for enhanced privacy.
1.3 Common Features of Door Knob Locks
Door knob locks may vary in design and features, but some common elements include:
- Keyed Entry: Most door knob locks offer a keyed entry option, allowing you to unlock the door from the outside using a key.
- Passage Function: In addition to the locking mechanism, door knob locks often provide a passage function that allows free access without the need for a key.
- Reversible Handles: Door knob locks can be installed on both left-handed and right-handed doors, thanks to their reversible handles.
- Grade Ratings: Look for door knob locks with ANSI/BHMA grade ratings to ensure their durability and performance.
1.4 Considerations for Choosing Door Knob Locks
When selecting door knob locks for your home, it’s important to consider the following factors:
- Security Level: Assess the security needs of your property and choose door knob locks that offer the desired level of protection.
- Durability: Opt for locks made from high-quality materials, such as solid brass or stainless steel, to ensure long-lasting durability.
- Aesthetics: Consider the overall design and finish of the lock to ensure it complements your home’s aesthetics.
- Installation: Determine whether you can install the lock yourself or if you require professional assistance.
- Maintenance: Look for locks that are easy to maintain, with features such as removable cylinders for rekeying purposes.
2. Lever Set Locks: A Modern Security Solution
2.1 What are Lever Set Locks?
Lever set locks are a contemporary alternative to traditional door knob locks. Instead of a rotating knob, lever set locks feature a lever handle, which offers a more ergonomic and comfortable grip. Lever set locks provide a sleek and modern aesthetic while offering robust security features.
2.2 Benefits of Lever Set Locks
Lever set locks offer several advantages over door knob locks. These include:
- Enhanced Accessibility: Lever handles are easier to operate for individuals with mobility limitations or dexterity issues, such as the elderly or people with disabilities.
- Improved Security: Lever set locks often incorporate advanced security features, such as anti-pick pins and hardened steel bolts, providing a higher level of protection against unauthorized entry.
- ADA Compliance: Lever set locks are designed to meet the accessibility standards outlined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Visual Appeal: Lever set locks are available in a variety of stylish designs and finishes, allowing you to customize the look of your doors.
2.3 Key Features of Lever Set Locks
When considering lever set locks, it’s essential to be aware of their key features, including:
- Keyless Entry Options: Lever set locks may offer keyless entry methods, such as keypad or electronic access, providing convenience and added security.
- Fire Safety: Look for lever set locks with a fire rating, indicating that they meet the necessary requirements for fire safety standards.
- Backset Compatibility: Measure the backset of your door (the distance from the edge of the door to the center of the lock borehole) to ensure compatibility with the lever set lock.
- Grade Ratings: Similar to door knob locks, lever set locks may have ANSI/BHMA grade ratings, which indicate their quality and durability.
2.4 Factors to Consider When Selecting Lever Set Locks
Before investing in lever set locks, keep the following factors in mind:
- Functionality: Determine the specific functions you require, such as privacy, passage, or entry locks, and ensure the lever set locks you choose offer those functionalities.
- Security Features: Evaluate the security features of lever set locks, such as anti-pry shields, hardened cylinders, and reinforced strike plates.
- Compatibility: Ensure that the lever set lock you select is compatible with your door’s thickness and backset measurements.
- Installation Complexity: Some lever set locks may require professional installation due to their advanced features or complex mechanisms.
- Warranty and Customer Support: Look for reputable brands that offer warranties and reliable customer support for peace of mind.
3. The Importance of Quality Door Locks
3.1 Ensuring Home Security
Door knob locks and lever set locks play a crucial role in safeguarding your home and protecting your loved ones. Quality locks act as a deterrent to potential intruders, significantly reducing the risk of unauthorized entry.
3.2 Preventing Unauthorized Entry
Investing in high-quality door locks, whether they are door knob locks or lever set locks, helps to prevent forced entry. These locks are designed with robust materials and advanced security features to withstand tampering attempts.
3.3 Peace of Mind for Homeowners
Knowing that your home is secured with reliable door locks provides peace of mind. You can confidently leave your property unattended, knowing that your doors are properly protected against intruders.
3.4 Meeting Insurance Requirements
Some insurance policies require homeowners to have specific security measures in place, including quality door locks. By installing reliable door knob locks or lever set locks, you can meet the insurance requirements, potentially lowering your premiums.
4. Door Knob Locks / Lever Set Locks: Which is Right for You?
4.1 Determining Your Security Needs
To choose between door knob locks and lever set locks, assess your unique security needs. Consider factors such as the crime rate in your area, the level of foot traffic around your property, and your overall budget for home security.
4.2 Matching Locks with Home Aesthetics
The appearance of your door locks should align with your home’s interior design. Door knob locks offer a more traditional look, while lever set locks provide a modern and sleek aesthetic. Choose the option that best complements your overall home decor.
4.3 Assessing Installation and Maintenance
Evaluate your DIY skills and determine if you can install the locks yourself or if you require professional assistance. Additionally, consider the maintenance requirements of the locks, such as rekeying or lubrication, to ensure they remain in optimal condition.
5. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
5.1 What is the difference between door knob locks and lever set locks?
Door knob locks use a rotating knob to operate the locking mechanism, while lever set locks feature a lever handle. Lever set locks offer enhanced accessibility and a more modern look compared to door knob locks.
5.2 Can door knob locks be installed on all types of doors?
Door knob locks are compatible with various types of doors, including interior doors, exterior doors, and even some commercial doors. However, it’s essential to ensure that the lock you choose is suitable for the specific door thickness and backset measurement.
5.3 Do lever set locks offer better security than door knob locks?
Lever set locks often incorporate advanced security features, making them more secure than traditional door knob locks. However, the overall security depends on the specific lock model and its quality.
5.4 Are door knob locks easy to pick?
While door knob locks can be picked, the level of difficulty depends on the lock’s quality and the skills of the intruder. Choosing high-quality door knob locks with additional security features can significantly reduce the risk of picking.
5.5 Can I replace my existing door knob lock with a lever set lock?
In most cases, it is possible to replace a door knob lock with a lever set lock. However, it’s important to ensure that the door and frame are compatible with the lever set lock’s installation requirements.
5.6 How often should door locks be replaced?
It is recommended to replace door locks every 5 to 7 years or if they show signs of wear and tear. Regularly inspect your door locks for any damage or malfunction and replace them if necessary.
Are door knob locks suitable for exterior doors?
Yes, door knob locks can be used on exterior doors. However, for enhanced security, it is recommended to consider using deadbolt locks in conjunction with door knob locks.
Can lever set locks be rekeyed?
Yes, lever set locks can typically be rekeyed. Contact a professional locksmith who can assist you with rekeying the lock to match a new key.
Do door knob locks require regular lubrication?
It is advisable to periodically lubricate door knob locks to ensure smooth operation. Use a graphite-based lubricant or silicone spray to lubricate the internal components.
Can lever set locks be installed on all types of doors?
Lever set locks can be installed on most standard doors. However, certain specialty doors or non-standard thickness doors may require specific lever set locks designed for their specifications.
What is a deadlatch feature in door knob locks?
A deadlatch is a common feature in door knob locks that prevents tampering or bypassing the lock by credit card or similar tools. It ensures that the latch cannot be easily depressed without a key or proper turning mechanism.
Are there smart lock options available for both door knob locks and lever set locks?
Yes, both door knob locks and lever set locks are available in smart lock options. Smart locks offer keyless entry, remote access, and additional security features through smartphone integration or voice control.
Can I install door knob locks or lever set locks myself?
Installation difficulty can vary depending on your DIY skills and the specific lock model. While some locks are designed for easy installation, others may require professional assistance to ensure proper fit and functionality.
What is the ANSI/BHMA grading system for door locks?
The ANSI/BHMA grading system is a standardized rating that assesses the durability, performance, and security of door locks. Grade 1 is the highest rating, indicating the highest level of quality and security, while Grade 3 is the lowest.
Do door knob locks and lever set locks come with warranties?
Yes, most reputable manufacturers provide warranties for their door knob locks and lever set locks. The warranty duration and coverage can vary, so it is advisable to check the specific warranty information provided by the manufacturer.
Investing in quality door locks, whether it’s door knob locks or lever set locks, is a crucial step in enhancing home security. These locks provide a vital layer of protection, deterring potential intruders and ensuring the safety of your loved ones and belongings. By understanding the features, benefits, and considerations of door knob locks and lever set locks, you can make an informed decision that aligns with your security needs and home aesthetics. Remember to choose locks from reputable manufacturers, install them correctly, and maintain them regularly to maximize their effectiveness. With reliable door locks in place, you can enjoy peace of mind and a more secure living environment.
Door knob locks offer a traditional and familiar design, and they can be installed on various types of doors, including interior and exterior doors. They provide a basic level of security and can be a cost-effective option for homeowners. However, it’s important to choose high-quality door knob locks with additional security features such as deadlatches and anti-pick pins to enhance their effectiveness.
On the other hand, lever set locks offer a more modern and ergonomic design, making them a popular choice for those seeking style and accessibility. Lever set locks are particularly advantageous for individuals with mobility limitations or dexterity issues, as they are easier to operate. These locks often incorporate advanced security features such as anti-pry shields and reinforced strike plates, providing an enhanced level of protection against unauthorized entry.
When making your decision, it’s crucial to assess your security needs, consider the aesthetics that align with your home’s interior, evaluate the installation complexity, and factor in long-term maintenance requirements. Reputable manufacturers and professional locksmiths can provide valuable guidance and ensure proper installation and functionality.
Remember that door locks should be periodically inspected for any signs of wear and tear, and they should be replaced if they become compromised or if you want to upgrade to more secure options. By staying vigilant and maintaining your locks, you can ensure their longevity and effectiveness in safeguarding your home.
Ultimately, investing in quality door knob locks or lever set locks brings you peace of mind, knowing that your home is protected. By combining these locks with other security measures such as surveillance systems and proper lighting, you can create a comprehensive security plan for your property.
So, whether you choose door knob locks or lever set locks, prioritize quality, durability, and functionality. Secure your home with locks that not only provide reliable protection but also enhance the aesthetics of your living space.