Inexpensive ways improving your home’s security
The most effective way of course is to lock your home when you go out. It is an elementary procedure, but one that many of us take for granted and tend to forget.
Keep small expensive items out of sight from the window. The burglar may not be able to see them, and thus would not be tempted to enter.
Put good locks on the windows as well as doors. Windows are often neglected parts of our homes and not adequately secured.
Do not leave a spare key hidden somewhere outside. This is a favorite trick of most people and burglars also know exactly where to look. Give the key to a trusted neighbor, it will be far safer.
Leave one or two lights on when you leave town. Do not leave mail or newspapers on the porch, this is a sure sign that no one is at home.
Put a Beware of Dog notice outside even if you do not have dog. The thief does not know that and he will think twice before he comes there.
Keep all the bushes around your home trimmed and cut. Keep your garage doors locked even if your car is not inside the garage.
Working with the Best Locksmiths in California
To enhance security at home or at your workplace, it helps to call in a professional locksmith. If you need the services of a professional locksmith, you can feel confident dialing our number. All-Over Locksmith & Garage Doors’ team of locksmiths have years of combined experience solving any type of locksmith problem. We service all types of home locks including the old-fashioned Victorian style mansions. If your gun safe lock is broken or if you have lost the key, we know how to replace those too all while keeping your family safe and unable to gain access. Do you have a safe that you keep valuable documents in? Sometimes the locks get old or stuck and makes it difficult to lock and unlock. We can help with these too.
Full-service CA locksmiths
We also replace and service deadbolt cylinder locks, electronic keyless entry locks, and Mortise locks. Whatever your situation is, we can help you regain access again. Some of the most common situations that All-Over Locksmith & Garage Doors locksmiths are called to handle include:
- Key cutting
- Emergency lock repair
- Lock picking
- Re-keying locks
- Keyless lock entry
- Alarm system installation and updates
- Security services and audits
We know that your possessions are valuable and we respond professionally and quickly so you can get on with your life with minimal interruption. All-Over Locksmith & Garage Doors locksmiths are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. We are here for your home, business, automobile, gun safe, safe, and other locking needs.
You can feel confident calling us when you need help with a lock or security system need. There are ways that you can also make the locking system you currently have even more secure. You can give us a call; we can reinforce the strike plate and reassure that the door frame and hardware are tight and that will update your basic security system. You can find door jam and strike plate hardware at any local home center.
24/7 Emergency Locksmith Services
Hardly ever does anyone get locked out of a home, business, or a vehicle during normal business hours. When an emergency occurs, you are never quite prepared for it and will need immediate attention in order to get home, leave, or close up your business. Most locksmith related concerns can be considered emergency situations, especially if you have children, a business, automobiles, and in some cases a fire in your home that you need to gain access to quickly. That’s why we are prepared for emergency situations; we know they are time-sensitive.
Why work with All-Over Locksmith & Garage Doors?
Here are a few important factors that All-Over Locksmith & Garage Doors feel sets us apart from others.
- We have high standards and we don’t accept average as acceptable. If it’s not the best, we aren’t done. We use the best tools to get the products to our customers as quickly as possible.
- We are available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. You are not always stuck outside of your car at 11 o’clock in the morning. Even if it’s 2 o’clock AM we are going to be there when you call.
This, call us now at (888) 574-6444 for free estimate or quote on your locksmith requirements.
Fortify Your Castle on a Budget
Ensuring the safety and security of our homes is a top priority for every homeowner. However, the cost associated with high-tech security systems and professional installations can be discouraging. The good news is that there are numerous inexpensive ways to improve your home’s security without compromising on safety. In this article, we will explore budget-friendly tips and tricks to fortify your castle and provide peace of mind. So, let’s dive in and discover the most effective and affordable measures you can take to protect your home from unwanted intruders.
Inexpensive Ways Improving Your Home’s Security
When it comes to securing your home, you don’t need to break the bank. Here are some affordable yet effective ways to improve your home’s security:
1. Reinforce Your Entry Points
The entry points of your home, such as doors and windows, are the most vulnerable areas. Strengthening these entry points is crucial in enhancing your home’s security. Consider the following inexpensive measures:
- Install sturdy deadbolt locks on all exterior doors.
- Reinforce door frames with metal plates or strike plates.
- Add window locks or install window security film.
2. Upgrade Your Outdoor Lighting
A well-lit exterior acts as a deterrent to potential intruders. Here’s how you can improve your outdoor lighting without spending a fortune:
- Install motion sensor lights around your property.
- Place solar-powered lights along pathways and near entrances.
- Use timers to simulate occupancy when you’re away.
3. Trim Landscaping for Improved Visibility
Overgrown shrubs and trees can provide cover for burglars. Maintain a clear line of sight around your property by trimming landscaping:
- Keep hedges and shrubs below window level.
- Remove tree branches that could provide easy access to upper floors.
- Consider planting thorny bushes near ground-floor windows.
4. Install Security Decals and Signs
Visual deterrents can go a long way in deterring potential intruders. Place security decals and signs strategically to give the impression that your home is well-protected:
- Display security company stickers on windows and doors.
- Place signs indicating the presence of a security system or surveillance cameras.
5. Secure Your Wi-Fi Network
In the digital age, securing your online presence is just as important as physical security. Protect your home network with these affordable measures:
- Change your Wi-Fi network name to something unique.
- Set a strong password for your Wi-Fi network.
- Enable network encryption (WPA2) for added security.
6. Create the Illusion of Occupancy
Making your home appear occupied, even when you’re away, can discourage potential burglars. Here’s how to create the illusion of occupancy on a budget:
- Use timers to turn on lights and electronics at different times.
- Ask a neighbor to collect your mail and newspapers.
- Don’t advertise your absence on social media.
7. Get to Know Your Neighbors
Building a strong community can contribute to a safer neighborhood. Get to know your neighbors and encourage a sense of mutual watchfulness:
- Join or establish a neighborhood watch program.
- Exchange contact information with trusted neighbors.
- Inform each other about suspicious activities or people in the area.
8. Reinforce Your Garage Security
The garage is often overlooked when it comes to home security. Follow these affordable tips to improve your garage security:
- Keep your garage doors locked at all times.
9. Install Window Security Film
Windows are another common entry point for intruders. Strengthen the security of your windows with affordable window security film:
- Window security film adds a protective layer that makes it difficult to break the glass.
- It acts as a deterrent and provides an extra barrier against forced entry.
10. Utilize Security Cameras
Thanks to advancements in technology, security cameras are now more affordable than ever. Consider the following options:
- Install dummy cameras to create the illusion of surveillance.
- Opt for budget-friendly Wi-Fi security cameras that can be easily monitored through your smartphone.
- Place cameras in visible areas to deter potential intruders.
11. Reinforce Sliding Doors
Sliding doors can be particularly vulnerable to break-ins. Strengthen the security of your sliding doors with these simple steps:
- Place a rod or broom handle in the track to prevent the door from being forced open.
- Install a security bar or clamp that prevents the door from being lifted off the track.
- Consider adding a security film to the glass panels for added protection.
12. Install a Peephole
Enhancing your home’s security can be as simple as installing a peephole in your front door:
- A peephole allows you to see who is at your door without compromising your safety.
- It provides a clear view of visitors before opening the door.
13. Secure Your Valuables
Protecting your valuable belongings is an essential part of home security. Consider these affordable options:
- Use a home safe to store important documents, jewelry, and small electronics.
- Invest in diversion safes, which resemble everyday objects, to hide valuables in plain sight.
- Keep expensive items out of view from windows.
14. Reinforce Your Mailbox
Identity theft is a growing concern. Secure your mailbox to protect your personal information:
- Consider upgrading to a mailbox with a lock.
- If you have a standard mailbox, install a mailbox alarm that alerts you when it’s opened.
15. Use Smart Home Technology
Smart home devices offer convenience and can enhance your home’s security. Here are some affordable options:
- Install smart doorbells with built-in cameras and motion sensors.
- Use smart plugs to control lights and electronics remotely, creating the illusion of occupancy.
- Set up smart door locks that allow you to lock and unlock your doors remotely.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Are inexpensive security measures as effective as expensive ones? A1: While high-end security systems may offer advanced features, inexpensive measures can significantly improve your home’s security. Implementing multiple layers of security, even on a budget, can greatly deter intruders.
Q2: Can I install a security system myself? A2: Absolutely! Many security systems are designed for easy installation by homeowners. Look for DIY options that come with clear instructions and online support.
Q3: Do fake security cameras actually work? A3: Fake security cameras can be effective in deterring potential intruders. However, it’s important to note that experienced burglars may be able to spot the fakes. It’s always recommended to combine visual deterrents with other security measures.
Q4: How often should I update my Wi-Fi network password? A4: It’s a good practice to update your Wi-Fi network password at least once every six months. Regularly changing your password helps protect against unauthorized access.
Q5: Should I inform my neighbors when I’m going on vacation? A5: It’s a wise idea to let trusted neighbors know when you’ll be away. They can keep an eye on your property and report any suspicious activities
Conclusion: Secure Your Home on a Budget
Securing your home doesn’t have to be a costly endeavor. By implementing these inexpensive yet effective measures, you can significantly enhance your home’s security without breaking the bank. Reinforce your entry points, upgrade your outdoor lighting, trim your landscaping, and utilize visual deterrents such as security decals and signs. Additionally, secure your Wi-Fi network, create the illusion of occupancy, and build a strong neighborhood network. Don’t forget to reinforce your garage security, install window security film, and consider utilizing affordable security cameras. Remember, protecting your castle is possible even on a tight budget.